Student Development Centre

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Q: Where is Psychological Services (Student Development Centre) located?

A: 4th floor, Western Student Services Building (between UCC and Weldon Library (Campus Maps)

Q: What is the phone number and office hours?

A: 519-661-3031, Monday-Friday 8:30am-4pm

Q: How do I book a DROP-IN appointment?

  1. Come in person to the 4th floor, WSSB, starting at 8:45am
  2. You will be asked to fill out some paperwork prior to the appointment
  3. Drop-in session length may vary, lasting between 60 and 90 minutes

Q: How do I book a Crisis appointment?

A: Come in-person to room 4112 during  office hours, or call 519-661-3031

Q: What is the difference between a psychologist and a psychiatrist?

A: All psychologists at SDC have a doctorate degree in Psychology and are registered with the College of Psychologists of Ontario as a Clinical Psychologist and/or a Counselling Psychologist.

A psychiatrist holds a degree in medicine, specializing in mental health and mental disorders.  Because a psychiatrist is a medical doctor, he/she is able to prescribe psychotropic medications and support patients with the medication.

The Student Development Centre (SDC) is home to highly-trained professional staff who employ targeted change-oriented mental health strategies to support student success.  Counselling at SDC is offered by psychologists, counsellors, psychology residents, and masters-level counselling students.  

Student Health Services (located in UCC 11) offers counselling and medical support.  With general practitioners, psychiatrists, and social workers on staff, they support students with general medical concerns in addition to more complex mental health issues that may require medication.  To contact Student Health Services, please call 519-661-3030, or 519-661-3771 (for counselling).

For more information about the difference between psychologists and psychiatrists, please see this guide 

Q: Who is eligible to access Psychological Services?

A: Current students (undergraduate and graduate)

Q: How do I sign up for Groups?

A: Please visit the Psychological Services Groups website for group information and registration

Q: How do I sign up for the Laura Evans Lecture Series?

A: Please visit the Psychological Services Lectures website for lecture information and registration

Q: I am in CRISIS and it is outside business hours: what do I do?

  1. If you are in danger or recognize someone else in danger, call 911
  2. If you are in crisis, call the London Mental Health Crisis Line at 519-433-2023, or go to Victoria Hospital (located at Commissioners Rd and Wellington Rd

Q: I want to talk to someone, but it is outside business hours: what do I do?

  1. Talk to a trusted friend or family member
  2. Call Good2Talk at 1-866-925-5454.  This service is available 24/7

Q: Who will know I’m accessing Psychological Services?

A: Our services are confidential.  Personal information will not be disclosed without your consent except in accordance with provincial legislation.  SDC staff will explain the limits of confidentiality at the beginning of any counselling process.

The Student Development Centre does not share any information about students accessing our services with students’ family, friends, or other departments/members of the Western University community.  

The following are some of the situations in which your personal information may be disclosed to persons outside the SDC without your consent:

  1. We are required by law to report to the appropriate authorities any suspicion that a child (someone who is presently under 16 years of age) has been or is being abused or neglected.
  2. If you are in serious and imminent danger of hurting yourself or someone else, we may need to reveal to an appropriate third party enough information to help maintain safety.
  3. If you are involved in a legal proceeding, the court may subpoena our records.