Writing Support Centre Services
Since 1996, Western’s Writing Support Centre has been committed to supporting all members of the Western Community. Incoming first-year students, undergrads, graduate students, postdoctoral scholars, faculty and staff all use our comprehensive services. Our main point of contact is at one-to-one writing appointments. We also interact with the Western community through in-house writing workshops and seminars, an annual writing conference, a summer transition program, our online presence, and through outreach initiatives that take us to every faculty and department. We assist writers regardless of their skill level or facility in English, at any stage of the writing process, in any genre, across the disciplines. We are a teaching unit whose goal is to develop and enhance writing and communication skills at Western.
- Students enhance writing and communication skills
- Students build confidence in their writing and communication skills
- Students are equipped with tools, resources and knowledge to effectively communicate through writing
- Students increase critical analysis abilities to effectively communicate scholarly ideas
- Students understand writing expectations at the university level, and are equipped with skills they need to navigate academic transitions
Individual sessions at a glance
Our staff of writing experts from disciplines such as anthropology, business, engineering, English, health sciences, MLIS, history, education, and philosophy understand the rigours of academic writing. More importantly, they know how to teach writing. They will not edit your paper, but they will diagnose your specific writing needs and help you become more productive and write more persuasively. Every paper is different, as is every reader. Adapting to the requirements of the assignment and the wishes of your reader is key. We can help.
Writing Support Centre one-to-one consultations by the numbers:
Writing Support Centre Evaluations: How would you rate our services?
- Individual one-to-one appointments at our centre in the Western Student Services Building
- Drop-In services at Weldon Library
- In-house writing seminars and workshops
- Online writing help
- Online writing resources
- Transitioning to university writing clinics
- Outreach presentations for faculty
- GradWRITE: a series of workshops and annual conference tailored for grads and postdocs
- GradLAB: a resource lounge for graduate students
- Dissertation Writers' Retreats